Summer is finally here so be sure to enjoy it! To help you beat the heat AND save money while you do, here are some tips:
- Use Portable and Ceiling Fans: Instead of cranking the A/C (and your electricity bill) consider cooling down with portable and ceiling fans.
They can help ease the stress on your unit when used together or help eliminate the need for it all together. Portable fans work by creating a breeze, helping to circulate the air and causing a wind-chill effect that hits your skin and helps keep you cool. For an extra blast of coolness, place a bowl of ice in front of the fan to create a refreshing mist of air!
- Avoid the Stove: While cooking can be a great way to warm up the house in the winter, it will create unnecessary heat in the summertime. Instead, consider cold meals such as salads or breaking out the BBQ.
- Keep the Curtains Drawn: As nice as it is to let the sun in, this can increase the heat in your house and cause extra stress on your A/C unit and fans. Instead, keep the curtains drawn (at least on very hot days) to help your home stay cool.
- Maintain the Air Filters: As always, the change of the season is a good time to check the air filters in your home. Dirty filters slow airflow and make the system work harder, which can lead to expensive repairs down the road. Replacing your air filters every three months is ideal to keep dirt and dust out of your system.
- Swap to Energy Efficient Lighting: You have probably heard some of the reasons why LED lights have become so popular, but did you know that they also produce 75 percent less heat than incandescent bulbs, and can help keep room temperature down? This can help reduce monthly bills and keep your home more comfortable during the summer season!